[pianotech] S&S "D" Keys with Attachments on To

William R. Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Feb 13 13:05:25 PST 2009

Hi Ric,

Good to see you back.

How would you suggest we quantify this flex coefficient?  The only thing I
can imagine that would satisfy the quest for exacting numbers is something
along the lines of what Hoadley does to find break strength.  Obviously not
to that extent, but to accurately measure the flex in a keystick, it would
seem like we'd have to get abusive on the part.  As with so many things in
this industry, there is a place for the "touchy-feely" stuff, the Zen of
key-stiffening if you will.  <G>

Maybe we could simply clamp the front of a suspect keystick to a bench
(tightly) with about the first inch supported and the rest of the keystick
extending out over the open floor.  Then, hang a weight (how much could be
figured by trial and error) from the key end.  Measure height to the floor
(or rig up a rigid platform to extend under the key so it could be measured
with a depth gauge/caliper/whatever) prior to weighting and after weighting.
Keep a spreadsheed of different keysticks lenghts, and deflections and after
a while one could develop a nice, quantified level of acceptable flex in a
keystick.

Sounds fun.  Maybe I'll do it.  <G>  Now, where did I put that time
sheet.........

William R. Monroe

One understands the general rational to be sure. Its just that the whole
thing has never really been even close to quantified in any real sense
of the word. Then too... I don't really see pianists making any kind of
a point out of this. If the general, albeit vague, consensus of pianists
assessment is laid to bear on the subject... then this seems less then a
necessary procedure.  I dont see it written in stone that the delay
between key depression and hammer string contact that can be traced to
key flexure is something pianists do not appreciate.  That said... I
have a few Yamaha's laying around that have a horrible delay feeling on
a hard blow... and key flexure has nothing to do with it.

Not to dispute the desirability of stiffer keys on some instruments out
of hand... I just think it would be valuable to better quantify the
relationship between key stiffness, action compliance otherwise, and how
pianists react to various configurations.

Cheers
RicB

    The basis is that they flex too much and you lose power at the upper
    end. When Steinway went to the accelerated action they removed the
    lower shoe in order to make room for the bearing.  On a D, in
    particular, with extra key length that reduction in height adds
    unwanted flex and it is easily demonstrated as well as felt on hard
    blows with a delay between key depression and hammer string
    contact.  Restoring the original height of the key with an elongated
    top shoe also restores much of the lost stiffness. Keys can be too
    stiff, I suppose, but it is not likely to happen in this situation.

    David Love
    www.davidlovepianos.com