[pianotech] S&S "D" Keys with Attachments on Top

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 06:32:53 PST 2009

I was asked to tune this hamburg D for a Jim Brickman concert last fall and
in the process of trying to hunt down a rattle, which I eventually found
thanks to some expert advice from this list, I pulled the action and found
the keys had been, I guess, stiffened?
Each key had the button removed, a 1/2" X width of key X 8" piece of white
wood(spruce?) glued to the top, the key button then glued on top of that and
somewhere he found balance rail pins long enough to reach the top of all of
this but just barely, the rounded ends are in the bushings.

This fine work was done by our self-appointed, self-taught Steinway
rebuilder Joel Lidstrom of some national fame according to his website.

I snapped some pics with my camera phone and forgot I had them until I got a
notice from my cellphone company that my pics would expire if I didn't
access them soon.
The link is below.
http://www.uscconlinealbum.com/pianoman/samps-quotdquot-keys/jsps/album-view
Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404