[pianotech] Do fourths beat faster?

Alan Forsyth forsyth93 at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 10 13:01:38 PST 2009

At college we spent 3 years of torture learning all the maths, physics, putting in ET scales, passing test and exams etc etc, but right at the end in the final semester we were told to forget about all that rubbish; "you tune a piano this way". Tune the fourths and fifths so that you hear 2 beats, not 2 beats a second, but 2 beats. In other words the higher up the scale you go the intervals will appear to beat at the same rate even though they are actually beating faster. Of course this all depends on the sustain of the piano.  The higher up the scale you progress, the shorter the sustain is. Now apparently this was the method of those tuners of yore who knew absolutely nothing about the maths and theory of equal temperament.

AF