[pianotech] Super Cleaning action parts for rebuilding...

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 07:12:18 PST 2009

> Thump (Gordon Stelter) has another cleaning method that is
> intriguing. It
> involves soaking things in some concoction. I haven't
> been able to overcome
> my built in resistance to soaking wood parts in fluid to
> try it. But the
> results are beautiful. It should be in the archives within
> the last few
> months.
>

> It involves DUNKING them in "Super-Clean"(TM) ( not soaking: soaking will dissolve the wood! ) or some local, generic "Super Soap"
( like "Purple Power", etc., ) rinsing ( removing unwanted felts & glue simultaneously ) and letting dry on nylon landscaping mesh, stretched ona  2x4 frame, out of the sun.  Cosmetically, it works spectacularly well
( makes filthy old wood look about 10 years old ) mechanically, I've found it makes "seized up" action centers "just about right" and odiferously,
it removes most, if not virtually all, old stink. ( Depends on what caused it, how awful, and etc.. )
     After drying, the parts can be put in a large plastic storage bin with a  hole cut in the end for conventional dryer venting tube, connected to an ozone generator. !!! NOT IN YOUR HOUSE !!! This ozonation will remove most of the residual odor, and you'll have "almost like new", feltless wooden action parts to rebuild!

     Thumpe