[pianotech] finding the strike line

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Mon Feb 9 12:57:33 PST 2009

Hello all,

Gluing test hammers onto the shank is my preferred method to
determine the optimum strike point. I prefer to fit test hammers
slightly further out on the shank (2-3 mm) than the original hammer
line (you may need to use new shanks for the purpose of fitting test
hammers if you are planning to retain the original shanks). This
allows you to test strike points further out than standard, without
having to remove the dags. It is usual to test the first and last and
two intermediate hammers for each of the top two treble sections. The
action and key-frame assembly is moved in and out from the standard
position, as normally determined by the touch block guides, until the
required strike adjustment for each test hammer has been determined
and recorded. The adjacent new hammers are then glued on their shanks
at the adjusted strike length. Pencil lines are previously drawn onto
the strike points of all test hammers and their adjacent hammers to
facilitate accurate placement of the adjusted hammer position. The
test hammers are not removed until all adjacent corrected hammers
have been fitted.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY