[pianotech] finding the strike line

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Feb 8 16:40:17 PST 2009

> Thanks Ron,
> The board is RC&S but how good it is has yet to be determined as it is
> my first. It does seem to be very responsive.
> Sounds like I just need to rely more on my listening skills - not
> necessarily an easy step to take for me.
> As I told Dale, I can put the hammer for note 68 at 1/9th, get a great
> tone, move the hammer close to the string so I can see the strike point
> and pluck at both sides up to 5mm and not really hear much difference in
> tone. It all gets a strong fundamental with pleasing partials and great
> sustain.
> Gene

Hi Gene,
That confused me when I read your reply to Dale. Plucked? I
temporarily mount the hammer to the shank and move it in and
out until I get as clear a tone as I think I can, then glue it
down there and find out later if I got it right by the sound
when I move the action in and out. I've never tried plucking.
Ron N