[pianotech] I've been tuning

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 04:20:21 PST 2009

Brian:

I am going to post the beat rates I calculated under the "Do Fourths
Beat Faster?" Topic, but want to reply to some things in this post
separately.

First, sorry I did not include the other beat rates that you asked
for. I did the beat rates for my own education, using a calculator,
and do not have the time to go further.

Second, I agree with you that fourths should beat progressively faster
in the temperament. I want to share with you just how accurate this
can make a temperament. Take a fourth that is 2 cents wide and beats
1bps. To beat 2bps (as fast as the fourth one octave higher) the
fourth would have to be 4 cents wide. For the fourths to be
progressive each fourth must have a beat rate a twelfth root of 2 (or
about 1/16th) faster than the one below it. To determine how many
cents this is, simply multiply 2 cents by 1/16. The result is 1/8th of
a cent. Each fourth must be within 1/8th of a cent of the width of the
ones chromatically above it and below it to beat progressively. Major
thirds are 14 cents wide and need only be within 7/8th of a cent of
the width of the ones chromatically above it and below it. Chromatic
fourth can be 7 times as accurate as chromatic thirds!

But this should all be "tempered" with reality. In shorter piano, the
fourths may not double each octave and a wider octave stretch will
increase the width of the fourths. Also, a practical limit of setting
a string securely, without any "leaning" is probably 1/3 of a cent. So
practically speaking, contiguous fourths should be progressive, if
chromatic fourths cannot.

You mentioned hearing two beat rates when listening to fourths. The
slower beat rate is the 4:3 partials, the faster is the 8:6 partials.
Which to listen to? Well, you could listen to both. I experience this
as the "color" of an interval and notice it more in fifths. The ratio
of the two different beat rates is what I experience as color and can
be used to tune fourths and especially fifths without tediously
listening to beat rates. Instead equal color in the intervals can be
tuned. It doesn't work so well on shorter pianos, though.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.