[pianotech] Do fourths beat faster?

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Fri Feb 6 16:41:46 PST 2009

Hi, Jeff---Here is what I know, based on empirical, practical evidence
from thousands of tunings: in a highly idealized equal temperament,
the fourths I can hear, usually from C1-F1 to around C6, are all
expanded, and all beating the same slow rolling beat---between 1-2
bps. All the fifths are slightly compressed, with no discernible beat.
I tune the ends of the piano with double and triple octaves---in the
treble, the double octave is usually slightly stretched, with a barely
discernible beat, and the triple octave is beatless. In the bass, both
double and triple octaves "appear" or sound beatless.
David Andersen