[pianotech] Do fourths beat faster?

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 6 11:45:20 PST 2009

David-

I wish I hadn't gotten into this!

 >> David's right. Because of inharmonicity and octave stretching, fourths
and
>> fifths progress more slowly in the mid-range of the piano. I suppose on
>> organs they follow the octave/double rule.

There is a logical inconsistency in my statement, but practically speaking,
it's quite practical. Practically speaking, I have also said the upper of
two contiguous fourths should sound "the same and not slower." For some
people, this kind of thinking works. Other people are driven crazy by it.

If you want a perfect, logical parsing out of the situation, read Dan's
articles of 1994 and 2007-08, about 60 pages total, and I will not try to
summarize them.

On pianos we tune "Imitation Equal Temperaments." They are compromises, and
more than one good compromise is possible. As I understand it, there's no
one and only final and perfect answer, good for all pianos and all places.

Best regards,
Ed Sutton