[pianotech] re design

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Feb 2 18:23:04 PST 2009

On a related matter, I have wondered about the benefit of adding mass to the
capo bar as Boesendorfer does with their drop-in capo.  I recall that some
years ago Sheldon Smith concocted a retrofit to a Steinway B (I believe
owned by Neil Young) that involved substantially increasing the mass of the
capo resulting in (so he claimed) a substantial improvement in sustain.
Maybe a list contributor works on that piano and can comment.   I never
heard the piano so I can't but does it make sense that increasing the mass
of the capo might have some effect on energy leakage through the bar and as
such might reap some benefit?

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com