[pianotech] re design

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Mon Feb 2 16:44:26 PST 2009

Hi Paul,

  But why? Are there problems with the existing agraffes?

  <The biggest issue is that I like a bigger hammer in the high treble - not possible with the agraffe. Second is that I have not heard too many pianos with agraffes at the top that I like the tone. Third, it is my spec piano and just the challenge is intriguing. There are many other custom features and "why not" is nagging at me.
  I had also thought about installing the capo and using half agraffes on the bottom side of it.
  Obviously I will need some engineering assistance if I decide to do the redesign.

  Personally, me, I like agraffes to the top. And would not redesign for a capo bar. It was Erard's solution to the economics of agraffes, and not a design for the better necessarily.

  <I like Erards.

  Gene

  Cheers,

  Paul