[pianotech] The gift that saved me.

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Feb 1 11:41:33 PST 2009

Hi Aart!

Glad you're semi-OK.  I hope you either charged more the tuning or got her
insurance information for all your check-ups!  I've never been bitten (as
a piano tech), but severly growled and barked at before, but the owners
would put the dogs somewhere else.  I love dogs, too, owned one all my
life...now on #5, and 99% of the time can make friends with them right
away. I always let them check me out and carefully check them out too
whether or not they'll let me pet them. Sorry this happened to you!  On
the other end,  I've had some dogs be my best friend at the door and
actually wouldn't leave me alone while working on the pianos!  "oh,
please, please, pet me some more!", they say with those big beautiful
eyes!! :>) Some have even fallen asleep on my feet while working...

I would have never thought of KEVLAR gloves!

Paul

Aart in America Piano Services <aartinamerica at optonline.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
02/01/2009 08:27 AM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[pianotech] The gift that saved me.

Hello All.

I usually only post technical questions, and your responses have always
been extremely helpful and I thank you all.
However I must share my personal experience at a new customer's home
yesterday, and a Christmas gift from my wife that saved my right hand.

As I opened the front gate of the home of a first-time customer I heard
the barking of many dogs.  I was not too concerned as I have many
customers with dogs and I love animals.
The Customer greeted me at the door and said "Come in, the piano is in
the living-room."   As I entered the house, I was immediately
surrounded by EIGHT dogs, of all different breeds and sizes..(from
poodles to spaniels to german shepards)

Then she said  "Oh, are you afraid of dog's?".  I said no, I like dogs.
  At that moment,  the 2 German Shepherds who were sniffing at me, (as
the others were barking and growling), circled around me like sharks,
and the one just clamped his teeth ferociously into my right hand and
didn't let go.  It felt like my hand was just slammed in a car door and
immediately broken....the strength and pressure (and Pain!) was
amazing.  I knew I was injured.  I dropped my tool box and bag and
removed my leather glove expecting to see lots of blood. To my
amazement, there was no blood and no puncture.

It was all because my wonderful wife gave me a pair of leather gloves
lined with KEVLAR at Christmas ,  I said to her "Why in the world would
I ever need these?" She said "It's to protect your hands from sharp
objects - they're your most valuable asset".   I truly believe that had
I not been wearing these gloves,  with the verocity and pressure of
that dog's bite, those big teeth would have went clean through the palm
of my hand, and my piano tuning and playing days could possibly have
been over.

Although my hand muscles were traumatized (and the hospital advised me
to follow up this week with an orthopedic surgeon for the swelling and
pain), there is No puncture or visible wound, and most importantly,  no
cut tendons or nerves.   The glove absolutely saved me from a more
serious injury.

I truly feel that these KEVLAR leather gloves are a valuable safety
tool for all piano technicians (at least for those who live in cold
weather states).  Good chance I would have ended up in surgery
yesterday if I wasn't wearing them.   My wife purchased the Kevlar
gloves on-line from an Army Navy supply house called Barres in Vermont.
  Their website is http://www.vtarmynavy.com for anyone interested in
investing in a pair.  Eileen said they cost about $24 bucks, but they
are worth their weight in gold.

PS  The customer and her mother were very upset, and did call my wife
last night to see how I was doing.  We learned that the dogs were
recently rescued, and their backgrounds were unknown. We only assume
that they may have been abused.

Moral of the story......Your hands are everything.  Take extra steps to
protect them from the unexpected!!

Best regards,
Aart

Aart Markenstein