[pianotech] Yamaha U1

David Lawson Pianos dlawson at davidlawsonspianos.com.au
Sun Aug 30 21:29:02 MDT 2009

I am a little concerned at the prospect of adding lubricants to bushing cloth. Some years ago, and maybe even now, some manufacturers added silicone to their bushing cloth, thinking that it would improve the smoothness of the touch etc. However, this method only seemed to exacerbate the problem of squeaky bushings in keys. Some Korean pianos had this problem here, and re-bushing was the only guaranteed way of fixing it. This, of course, was replacing the cloth with top quality material without additives.
There is nothing like good felt to last, and give good service. Let's face it, some of the 100 year old pianos still have the original bushing felt in them, and still work fine, without squeaks.
David Lawson. Wangaratta Australia