[pianotech] Yamaha U1

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Aug 30 19:00:53 MDT 2009

These squeaky keys are not uncommon on Yamaha verticals.  The P-22 school
pianos are famous for these "bird chirps".  In a heavy use classroom
situation, they wear quickly and cavitate on one side easily as they wear.
I think the chirping comes from felt that has worn through enough to be
contacting glue that had wicked into the felt, along with David's
observation about the non-parallel cutting.  I've noticed this on these
pianos for the past 15 or 20 years, so it is not a new problem.  I think the
problem is exacerbated by poor quality bushing cloth along with the glue
they use.  Use the best bushing cloth you can get to rebush, or leather.
But they will wear faster anyway.

You CAN do something about it - you can get them to keep you coming back and
pay you to  rebush the keys every few years if the piano is used a lot.

Will Truitt