[pianotech] PR follow up

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 29 08:51:20 MDT 2009

Smart response.

I didn't say I was dismayed.  My point last night was that none of you were
getting anywhere with the other person.  From what I was reading, instead it
was turning into a bigger disagreement with nobody willing to give an inch.

My opinion on it.  The end result of any one of our tunings and/or pitch
raises, is in the eye of the beholder as is its stability.

It makes more sense to me, if one is going to do a follow up tuning IMO,
doing a 1/2 tone PR for example, to rough tune the piano on that first visit
and THEN come back in the 2-3 week period and fine tune it.  Although, 2
weeks IMO is too soon to let it settle good.  A month makes more sense to
me.   Similar to moving a piano.  Let it set 2-4 weeks to acclimate and make
any changes it might make from the PR.

Fine tuning constitutes doing the best job possible on that instrument.  An
acceptable tuning would be one that is passable or acceptable (maybe) to one
of us but, just barely.  As one person stated quite a while back now,
because the customer can't tell the difference, let's not consider it sloppy
workmanship if it is not perfectly in tune.  That's a bogus excuse to do a
poor or barely passable tuning job.  Either one is going to do a good job,
or one is not.  There is no inbetween.

Can one raise pitch a full tone and fine tune in one setting?  Sure, I've
done it many times.  Will it stay put?  That's the question.  That depends
entirely upon the environment the pianos lives in, WHO tuned it last (many
tuners cannot stabilize a tuning for the life of them.  Ever follow up after
one of them?  A person that moves the tuning pin past its mark 15 times
before they actually get it close and quit?  That makes it a lot more
difficult to set the pins than if we had done it ourselves all those years),
the amount of use it receives, open windows, A/C being turned on afterward
after having been turned off for several days.  Heat being turned on and the
quality and abilities of the tuner doing the work along with the quality and
abilities of the piano itself.

When is good, good enough? Again, that would be in the eyes of the beholder
or the person following up after us.

Jer Groot RPT