[pianotech] Hysteresis and elastic deformation (was PR follow up)

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Fri Aug 28 23:21:16 MDT 2009

> From: PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
> Date: August 29, 2009 12:51:56 AM EDT
> To: pianotech at ptg.org
> Subject: Re: [pianotech] PR follow up
>

> In a message dated 8/28/2009 11:34:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time, defaziomusic at verizon.net
>  writes:
> Since PRJ is asserting that science shows that he is right and that
> others are wrong,
> Hysteresis reaches hysteria!  How on earth did you get there? That's
> a representation of my original question which has no basis in fact.

Hi Paul,

My apologies if I misrepresented your statements or opinions.  As for
"how I got there,"  the few posts below may answer that....

My post was not meant as an accusation, but rather as a question:

Do you know of any scientific or engineering studies that show
hysteresis in the elastic deformation of wood?  If so, that is
valuable information that would benefit the group, and would go a long
way toward understanding instability in pitch raises. If not, since we
generally stipulate to unequal string tensions in different segments
leading to instability, then what is your understanding of any other
way or ways in which the physics of the piano explains instability in
pitch raises?

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh