[pianotech] Re; Scaling Help

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 26 12:09:01 MDT 2009

All,
One thing that I forgot to mention with my previous post: Steinway, during that time did not have adequate piano wire, just like the rest of the piano world. It was a bit better than the Iron Wire of earlier decades, but still sub-standard compared to our modern wires. Hence, the darned stuff was softer and the scale was a much lower tension average. A wire size of, for example, #13 had a far lower breaking strength than our modern size #13. The overall structure of the piano was not built for the higher tensions even of the 1890's! All this boils down to is that great caution should be used when restringing the early instruments. A proper Scale Evaluation with several Special Parameters used to assure that the very OLD structure will not be compromised. (i.e. make sure the darned thing won't Self-Destruct!!)
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police