[pianotech] String rattle

perrys piano restorations perrymark at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 24 19:57:19 MDT 2009

Hey Joe, Without seeing it I can't say for sure, but I have a cool trick you could try.  Get yourself a good set of dental picks.  Examine the bridge, and use curved pick to clean the wood out under the wire part of the string... in other words, make certain the last thing the string touches at the bridge before the speaking length is the bridge pin, and not the wood of the bridge.  These picks can clean out under a string safely.  The other possibility, are the strings buzzing against tenor wires or damper blocks?  Sometimes the angle on a bass string will not accomodate a poorly fit damper set.  If that does not work, paint the whole soundboard in gorilla glue, and stand back!  Once the piano fills up with foam, I am sure nothing will ever buzz or rattle again.

Good luck,
Mark Perry

p.s. don't try that last trick.