[pianotech] Scratched Lid

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 23 21:39:14 MDT 2009

Rob:
	There is a difference between "coating" something, and polishing it.
Using polish on polyester doesn't "coat" it.  That's why there's a
polishing compound in it.  It works by wearing away the surface.  Coating,
as you would do with lacquer or paint, doesn't do anything to the surface
itself.  If you go back next year to "coat" it, it isn't going to improve
at all.  You'll have to use more "elbow grease", in fact a LOT more, to
make any improvement.
	Yamaha pianos have a very hard polyester finish, as compared to other
brands.  It takes a lot more buffing on a Yamaha than on the Chinese or
Korean brands which use a softer formulation.  In some cases, the finish is
actually polyurethane, which is extremely hard and also very thin.  Often
this is used on bench tops because it resists scratches better than
polyester.  It can be buffed also, but it takes longer.  If it gets
scratched, polyurethane can't be sanded and then buffed.  That is, unless
you don't mind seeing the primer showing through.  DAMHIK.  Been there,
sanded that...
	I'm sure it will be just as cloudy next year anyway.  Have fun!
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego