[pianotech] i'll take a pass - leg bolt question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Aug 21 18:47:23 MDT 2009

Owen Greyling wrote:
> Then you need a method to avoid “bad vibes”. An idea that I’m sure is
> not original with me, is to offer a price range over the phone. I have
> always disliked the “feeling” that occurs when the piano presented to
> the tuner, is not in the shape or condition presented in the original
> conversation. I don’t get “that feeling” anymore. Remember friends, that
> whenever YOU are working, somebody is paying. When you are both working
> and paying, it gets old really quickly. The freedom that you have when
> you offer a price range is that you already have the permission to be
> flexible with what service level you perform. Try it, you will love it!
>
> Respectfully,
> Owen

Good advice, right up to the time you walk in and find
something you wouldn't think to put on the contingency list. I
showed up at an appointment the other day, expecting a pitch
raise and tuning on a Baldwin grand. That part was accurate
enough, as it turned out, but for the "by the way". The piano
had been "movered". That's not just moved, but done unto by
the moverzillas some beyond the expected minimal relocation
trauma. He asked if it was supposed to wobble like that, as he
demonstrated. Well, no, it's not. I found at least a couple of
leg bolts that weren't tight. One wouldn't tighten because it
was either a thread mismatch, or cross threaded, and the
threads were chewed up beyond function. Another had been
forced to the point that it was spinning in the nut, and would
neither go in, or out. One lyre brace was half off, screwed to
the lyre but not the keybed, and one lyre bolt was missing
altogether. All this wasn't apparently considered to be
important enough to merit mention as being outside the base
tuning service requirements when they called. Never mind by
what state of alleged mind anyone would lunge on a stuck bolt
to the degree that would do such damage without an inkling
that something might not be exactly right here. So I get to
see what I can come up with to put legs and lyre back on the
thing in their living room. It's a model B (I think), that has
the single screw holding the music desk down to the plate at
the bass break. Does anyone know that the original thread was
for the leg bolts in these things? Otherwise, I get to
fabricate parts (which will likely be necessary anyway).
Ron N