[pianotech] a new one for me

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Thu Aug 20 23:49:57 MDT 2009

Hi James,

I was not in exactly the same situation.

I enjoy listening to HIFI stereo systems. I had a client who let me in and
was going to leave me to "shut the door". I noticed he had a nice system
and I asked him to play some music on it.

It was very impressive.

He liked me, and I liked him. I offered to drive him to work after the
tuning so that he would not have to take public transit and he accepted.

One day later I got a call from the police asking if I knew anything about
the sound system--it had been stolen from his home the same day as I did
the tuning. Nothing else was taken.

I thank my lucky stars that he accepted the ride to work, or I would have
been the prime suspect.

I will *not* tune a piano in the absence of the client.

 On Behalf>Of James Grebe
>Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:59 PM
>To: Pianotech
>Subject: [pianotech] a new one for me
>
>On the way home this afternoon I was called by a St. Louis detective on my
>cell phone.  .  It seems a tuning customer of mine from last week had
>reported a watch stolen from his loft condo.  I was there about 2 hours
>doing some repair  and tuning.  I have never met this client face to face.
>Always, someone else meets me there to let me in and they disappear till I
>am finished.  Anyway, the detective asked if I would take a polygraph test
>next Wednesday to "clear" myself from this deed/  I was caught totally
>unaware on this one.  Obviously, I know nothing of what was stolen or even
>if something was stolen.  I was only at his piano and the bathroom while I
>was there.  I am very nervous anyway and this has really caught me in
>surprise that after 47 years this has never happened to me before.
>Has anything like this happened to any of you?
>James
>James Grebe
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7