[pianotech] Steinway L string scale

David Renaud drjazzca at yahoo.ca
Mon Aug 10 06:02:20 MDT 2009

  Would the list know if any of the string makers have the standards scaling
for a Steinway L.  I'm trying to save a long distance trip to measure
F#1 on a Steinway L to order one string.

  Even better, perhaps someone on the estemed list has stock measurments
for F#1 on a Steinway L, 1920's. Being a single replacement I am
assuming that the stock measurment used by the factory is suffieient.

  All the string makers I have spoken to want me to get the measuments....
this invovles an extra hour travel. Something as common as a steinway L
must have a standard string scale that works within about a mm.

 If being tempted by such practice is cheating .......fire away.
 Perhaps I should forget this bright idea and go measure it.....?
 If someone has those measures it will put a smile on my face......

                                       Cheers
                                       Dave Renaud