[pianotech] Attention Ed Foote - Pitch raising limit

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 16:01:56 MDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:08 PM, David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> And since most of our customers do not have "qualified ears" a one pass
> pitch raise tuning can work, the heck with it being "sloppy workmanship".
> Some of us nitpick to the nth degree on the List, but in reality do the
> best they can as the situation dictates.

This is almost universally true.  And when music is made, it usually sounds
OK if there are good unisons and good octaves.

And yet, some of us tuners have really picky ears.  It really bugs me to
hear "flat" double octaves and "flat" octave-fifths.  I know I need to get
over some of that, but I try to leave the piano in as perfect tune as it can
be.

When I know I can do better (within time constraints obviously), but choose
not to, I'd call that sloppy workmanship.

Not that I go beyond what I'm paid.  Well, actually, I'm sure I do ...
'cause I did yesterday!  <G>

--
JF