[pianotech] Soundboard deflection - Pitch raise

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 5 06:39:24 MDT 2009

Raise pitch 1 tone to exactly A/440. Not higher.  What happens?  It drops
back down about 1/4 tone lower (roughly).  IMO, there has to be some basic
give throughout the  entire structure of the piano although I have no
scientific proof and could actually care less about looking for it, I have
only common sense and mine is diminishing by the day it seems.  Old age?
Over worked?  Under worked?

Seems to me that the harp must have at least to some degree, a bit of
flexibility seeing as the harp takes the basic brunt of the 18-20 tons of
tension from the strings being attached to it. Although, it must still
maintain the same basic structure or it would collapse completely upon a
major pitch raise.

The strings are doing the most giving and taking IMO by stretching and
flexing.  Possibly, moving them considerably across the bridges changes the
tension across the sounding board enough to have some affect on it by the
pulling of the wires, or the added tension.

I would venture that little or no bearing, or little or no crown will not
matter as far as pitch is concerned although, increasing tension over all in
the piano may increase tone, the tone is increased mainly by placing tension
back into the strings by stretching them out again if that is, if the tone
changes and it doesn't always.  Otherwise, the increase of tone must come
from the added tension not only onto the wires themselves but, also from
placing the total tonage back onto the whole structure of the piano again.
After all, the piano is built to be at a certain tension not 2 keys below
that or what happens?  Eventually, tone is lost.  I was taught that also,
eventually, crown is lost as well after many years of neglect.

Time for work.  Have fun arguing about this now!  :-)))

Jer