[pianotech] Soundboard deflection - Pitch raise

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 20:59:54 MDT 2009

Its times like this that I wish PTG had a research and development
department to answer some of these basic questions once and for all!

I would argue (and no, I have no empirical evidence whatsoever so take it
for what its worth:[?]!) that there must be a number of different factors
effecting pitch drop when pianos are pulled up to tension.

When you consider what the teeniest changes to the tuning pin do to pitch,
why wouldn't the teeniest movement in the bridges, plate, pinblock, rim,
etc, have a noticeable effect?

I agree that the theory that the drop is caused by the soundboard being
pressed down is probably mostly a myth. It sounds good, and seems easy to
explain to clients, but I doubt it contributes much.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter