[pianotech] Advantages/Disadvantages of muting techniques

PianoForteTechnologies pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Tue Aug 4 07:30:55 MDT 2009

Thank you to all of you that have answered.

With uprights, I strip mute the middle, tune the middle and then  tune the
unisons for the middle.

I also do one pass pitch raises and tuning like this.  I then tune the
treble unisons and then the bass unisons as I go.  A lot of the pianos I
tune are anywhere from 10 - 50 cents flat.  So this gives me room to pitch
raise and tune.  In one sitting.

On grands I strip mute the entire grand, tune the center string for every
note and then tune the unisons.  I have tried once or twice just tuning
unisons as I go but did not pursue this because I was slower than I usual.

I do like what Ed said with regard to what maters, the end result,
stability, stability, stability.

I think I will re-try the unisons as you go and persist with it and see?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Mark Davis