[pianotech] offset of SAT to non-440

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 14:41:30 MDT 2009

    First of all, I did call Inventronics about this first, but
just couldn't seem to get "on the same page."
    This time of year, most pianos are sharp from summer
humidity.  Rather than lower them all down to A440, knowing
they'll need a pitch raise in November if I do, I just tune them
sharp.  This requires offsetting the SAT to a sharper pitch.
    Following the outlined procedure in the instruction manual,
I turn the unit on, press Tune, then play A4 on the piano, then
press the Cents Up button on the SAT (III) until the lights
stop, then press Shift, Reset.  The unit should now be offset to
the higher pitch.  Then I go ahead and measure the SAT numbers
and store them to a page in memory.  Before starting in to tune,
I go to A4 on the SAT and play A4 on the piano to make sure the
lights are still stopped, i.e., that the unit is offset to the
pitch of A4.
    Here's the problem:  the lights are never stopped at A4
after performing the offset. They're always rotating
counterclockwise, indicating that A4 is flat!  Well, I don't
want to raise the piano any sharper!  Why, after having
supposedly offset the unit's reference point, does it still show
A4 as flat?  Should I have A5 or A6 in the window when I offset?
(I've tried both, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.)
The guy at Inventronics said to "drop down a couple cents," or
to "leave off a couple cents" or something like that, but I'm
not sure what he meant.
    In reality, I don't raise the whole piano to the sharpness
of the low tenor, which is usually the sharpest area of the
piano.  I'll lower the low tenor some, leave the treble where it
is, and maybe pull the bass up a tad.  On older pianos, I don't
like to have to pull the bass up ANY, because of possible string
breakage, but if I don't then I have to lower all of the tenor
and treble, and do a pitch raise when November comes along.  And
these school systems don't want to tune more than once a year if
they can get away with it.
    But I digressed.  Why don't the lights stand still after
having supposedly offset the pitch?
    --David Nereson, RPT