[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

pgmilkie at juno.com pgmilkie at juno.com
Mon Aug 3 04:56:59 MDT 2009

We all were (3 hours tuners) at one point.  Tuning speed has to do with hammer control and feel.  When practicing technique don’t forget that technique ultimately boils down to feel
Before ETD's I was taught to deaf tune for a large pitch raise. This is done with two hands, one on the back of the tuning hammer tip moving the hammer quickly from pin to pin and the other used to turn the hammer . A quick jerk on each pin is all it takes, pluck a string every octave or every few unisons with your finger to hear how much the pin is going sharp to allow yourself  to be more comfortable this deaf pitch raise.
Today I simply use the Verituner with over pull.

My first piano took for hours and I desparately needed a nap after the tuning.
Today my tunings are in color compaired to black and white years ago.
Paul Milkie