[pianotech] Saturday Appointments

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Aug 1 18:59:43 MDT 2009

I have a no Saturday (or Sunday) work policy unless I make an exception.
Sometimes I do, but not until I've exhausted all other options.  I don't
work nights either.  But recently a piano that I had rebuilt was returned to
the customer after refinishing late on a Friday afternoon.  I still had the
action and needed to go there to install it.  The piano arrived too late
Friday and I wanted the customer to have it to play as soon as possible so I
went there on a Saturday to finish up.  When someone calls and asks if I
work weekends I always say "not if I can help it", or something similar.  I
don't like to close the door until I know what it is I'm turning down.

So there are occasions where I will work on Saturday but one thing I don't
do is travel.  I'll do a local tuning if that's really all they can do but I
won't travel far for it.  While I do prefer to leave weekends free there are
times when a Saturday is necessary.  One thing I will add, for techs trying
to build business, offering Saturday appointments can be an incentive to
attract business since many techs do not work on the weekends.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com