What's all this I hear about Inertia ?

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Tue Sep 30 17:01:04 MDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 8:46 AM, Fenton Murray wrote:

> If you have heavy hammers, or a high action ratio, or even worse
> both, you will start to end up with too much lead in the key unless
> you are using assist springs.
And assist springs, even the adjustable,good kind, have never felt as
satisfying to me as an action with the ideal hammer weight, action
ratio, balance weight, and front weights, and regulated well: by
feel, by the "sweet spot," where the action feels its most "buttery"
and responsive.
On a well-made action that sweet spot falls within very narrow
parameters of distance and weight. Here are some of my ideal parameters:
-action ratio: 5.5-5.7
-balance weight: 37-39
-blow distance: 46mm MINIMUM - 48mm
-key travel: 10.2-10.5mm
> These actions are not going to 'feel' right even though they may
> have great numbers. I don't know any way too measure this easily
> with weights at the key board, but I have become pretty good at
> feeling it through all the great mistakes I've made.
As Erwin says, zzzzactly. You get to a point where your hands, your
ears, your feeling sense, your eyes, your perceptions, are the vast
and fundamental basis of any diagnosis. It's a quick, intuitive
process, ratified and focused by testing with the Stanwood protocols,
and it works like magic. When the change is made the client is ecstatic.
David A.