What's all this I hear about Inertia ?

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Tue Sep 30 12:27:14 MDT 2008

>Key lead inertia problems will show up in repetition, where the rep lever
>spring has to shove the back of the key, lifting the heavy front, for the
>jack to reset.

That's exactly what it feels like. I think of that heavy hammer on a knuckle
digging way down into the repetition spring as the key is played. There no
doubt in my mind that I can feel the lead in the key. I haven't set up a new
action with assist springs, but I've lightened or removed them and then
added lead to the key, making the action worse. This on a high ratio, heavy
hammer, action. Proper procedure for me in this scenario now is to remove
hammers, lighten them, change knuckle and capstan location as required, and
start removing lead to achieve a 38 to 40 BW.
Let's say we've got a shank ratio of 8.3 to one and a 9 gram hammer, that's
74.7 grams that the repetition lever is supporting at the knuckle. Lower the
hammer to say 8.2 and move the knuckle out 1.5 mm and the shank drops to
maybe 7.6 and now we've got maybe 68 grams of load at the knuckle. This is
maybe over simplistic but it works in my head and I play these action after
I'm done and am getting a real handle on what numbers mean to the feel of
the action. The dark ages of the '70s and 80's, at least out here on the
West Coast, are gone and now I'm learning why an action feels like it does.
It's hammer weight, action ratio, action geometry and friction, then
finally, accurate regulation. Those first four were missing in my book for a
long time.
Fenton