What's all this I hear about Inertia ?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 30 11:10:25 MDT 2008

> If you have heavy hammers, or a high action ratio, or even worse both,
> you will start to end up with too much lead in the key unless you are
> using assist springs. These actions are not going to 'feel' right even
> though they may have great numbers. I don't know any way too measure
> this easily with weights at the key board, but I have become pretty good
> at feeling it through all the great mistakes I've made.
> Respectfully,
> Fenton

And assist springs won't make up for the heavy hammers in the
inertia battle.

I've tried to point out before (Not to you, Fenton, to the
list), that the excess lead wouldn't be in the keys in the
first place unless the hammer weight is too heavy for the
action ratio. I don't think key lead has a lot to do with down
stroke inertial feel. You'll get a similar feel with less key
lead and more spring assist because you're still accelerating
a heavy hammer at a nominally 5:1 leverage ratio. The root
problem is hammer weight. Key lead inertia problems will show
up in repetition, where the rep lever spring has to shove the
back of the key, lifting the heavy front, for the jack to reset.

My take,
Ron N