What's all this about inertia?

Dean May deanwmay at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 18:27:57 MDT 2008

Everybody's taking a run at explaining so I want a turn, too. I want to
elaborate a little on what Don said.

F = ma^2

That's

force = mass times acceleration squared

David is partially correct because when the only acceleration we are talking
about is gravity and everything is static, then the force=weight=mass, i.e.,
the weight is the downward force and it is equal to the mass. But as soon as
we start accelerating the object then the force (in our case the resistance
felt by the finger) definitely is increased by an increase in the overall
mass.

The keystick is a rotating mass system, rotating around the fulcrum of the
balance rail. Assume the keystick has zero mass and we add 100g at a point
250mm behind the balance rail and 50g at a point 250mm in front of the
balance rail. The touch weight at the front (250mm from the balance rail) is
50g. When it comes to accelerating this key we must add the front and rear
weights which comes to 150g to figure our inertial force.

Compare to a second key with 1000g at the rear point and 950g at the front.
It's touch weight is also 50g. However when accelerating this key our
inertial force is calculated using 1950g. So even though its static
downweight is the same, its inertial force is more by a factor of 13. Huge
difference.

Key weights closer to the fulcrum will have lower effect on rotating
inertia, key weights further out will have a greater effect on rotating
inertia.

In the piano action inertial differences are even more pronounced with
different hammer weights because of the key ratio, i.e., the amount of
hammer travel being 5-6 times greater than the amount of key travel.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802