hose for belly press

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 09:43:04 MDT 2008

In a message dated 9/28/2008 4:48:15 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
surfdog at metrocast.net writes:

Thanks,  Bob:
>From  your pictures, it looks like you have applied finish to  the panel
(everywhere but where a  glue joint will be) prior to your glue-up.   Yes?
Will  Truitt

Will,

Yes, one protective coat of shellac  on the ribs and board. Keeps our grubby
paw prints and glue blobs from  staining the purty board. I expect it would
glue up as well if we just put one  coat on the whole thing without masking,
but, you know, anything to reduce  that nasty profit.

We fit the ribs to the case, with  little brads sticking up at the ends,
press the panel down onto the ribs, reach  under the piano and mark the
rim-to-panel joint. Then remove the board, invert  it, locate the ribs with the pins,
score lightly the rib-to-panel line (w/razor  blade, not pencil), tape off
between the lines, shoot shellac.

Strip the rib tape, and after the  ribs are glued on and shaped, then we can
go on with the finish (We use  varnish). Finish the bottom, strip the rim
tape; finish the top after board is  glued in and trimmed.

Bob