Bluthner Patent Action

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Sep 27 21:09:07 MDT 2008

    Ric: thanks for moderating this.  However, you credit me with
    calling the abstract a "thingee".  I'm innocent of that, I can
    assure you. :^) BTW, I have looked up abstract and Abstrakte and in
    neither language can I find a reference to anything that relates to
    a mechanical  component or connector...

Hi Gregor.  I agree that a more then acceptable translation of the
simple directions has been achieved here... and thats dandy as far as it
goes. Agree also with the suggestion that it be adopted immediately in
replacement of present english instructs. Sorry bout the <<thingee>>
bit... must have been another case of one of those cut and paste things
we do to cut down on lengthy quoted posts :)

Tom evidently found some reference to the word Abstrakte / Abstract.
The word evokes completely different associations in my own mind but
language is a far more complicated thing then my mind can keep track of
... so who knows.  Still, as described the term does not fit the roll of
this part well. See my other post just posted. Its a rep-lever really...
with the knuckle integrated into it instead of on the hammer shank.

Really the whole Bluthner action simple delegates different regulation
rolls to different configured parts but the basics end result are not
that dissimilar. The claim that the Bluthner action does not have any
after touch is at least to some degree over exaggerated. Rather it has a
significantly reduced degree and sensation of it. Any action with a
release mechanism must have a certain degree of after movement of the
key in order for the jack (or whatever release mechanism is used) to
completely clear free of the knuckle or equivalent. The only other
significant difference from a players response perspective is that the
Bluthner is appreciably faster with respect to repetition. Whether
either are desirables is another question... and we quickly digress into
several other discussion tangents.

I'm off for a weeks vacation in Greece !  Nice community effort so far
on this one !

Cheers, and see yas all when I get back
RicB