hose for belly press

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Sep 27 15:15:31 MDT 2008

Allan Gilreath, RPT wrote:
> Maybe not a bull’s eye but be sure to stay out of the line of fire.
> <grin> I think we only went up to 100psi on leak tests (not that we use
> near that much for pressing.) We also used a rubber gasket between the
> fire hose and the end caps to give more grip (they really wanted to
> slide out of the synthetic fire hose!) You’ve definitely embarked on an
> adventure! Making the curved cauls and the backing braces proved
> interesting too. It’s quite a bit of pressure over the distance of a
> long rub.
>
> Allan

Allan, Will,
I used galvanized plugs, filled the threads with cheapo
silicone/latex adhesive caulk, and put them together with hose
clamps. No noticeable leaks, and no failures (yet). I figure
the caulk sealed it airtight, while the hose clamp pressed the
lining into the threads for the needed grip.

Oh yea. Why are some of you leaving the clamps on overnight?
Is it the glue you're using? After an hour, or even as little
as a half hour with Titebond, you couldn't get the rib off
without destroying it. Just curious.

Ron N