Bluthner Patent Action

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 13:55:59 MDT 2008

At 11:08 +0200 26/9/08, Gregor _ wrote:

>well done, John. I must admit that I did not read the English
>version from the Blüthner Homepage. But the German version is
>straight to the point and every German with a certificate of
>apprenticeship as Klavierbauer should immediately know what is meant.

I agree.  All the essential specifications are given.  It's a little
while since I worked on the whole action of one of these, but I
always have 43 mm. in mind for the Blüthner blow. I think this action
also uses a black cloth washer on top of the front touch baize.  It
would not be appropriate to use a hard keybed such as the Wurzen
conical felt washers.

>On the other hand: there are some words I never heard of before.
>E.g. Abstrakt or Abstrakte. That´s usually referred to as "that tiny
>thingee in Blüthners" :-)

Well Blüthner people in England call it the abstract probably only
because it's an English word and it matches the German word
perfectly.  It would probably be more correct for English speakers to
call it the Sticker by analogy with the part having a similar
function in the old Sticker Action for uprights.  Besides, it's a
good word!

>2 notes to your translation:
>
>3. The hammer must let off 1.5 mm from the steel strings and half
>the thickness of a bass string from the wound strings.

Ok, that's the translation, but in fact that rule comes into play
only when the bass string is over 3mm, which applies (for the
commoner models) only to the 13 singles and not to the bichords.  To
be plain, the top covered bichord on a Style 6/7 is about 1.6mm.  The
set-off (English term) should not therefore be 0.8 mm. but 1.5 mm.

>7. It is now necessary to check the regulation of the touch again.

Yes.