Plate Crack - how lethal?

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Fri Sep 26 11:48:03 MDT 2008

I guess it depends what you mean with lethal, but that crack doesn't
look particularly frightening to me.  There are many cracks that are
benign.  A case in point being the many cracked plates on old Bechstein
grands. Caveat:  Of  course there are no guarantees for stability.

I have an upright where the pinblock let go from the posts and tilted
forward, breaking the plate struts at the treble break and the high
treble.  I put it back together and have had no stability issues for
about 25 years now.  Pictures below.
Jurgen Goering