Taking pictures.

Thomas Martin flibberti.gibbet at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 10:21:29 MDT 2008

Currently I only own a 1908 Hammond Upright and a Baldwin E which isn't even set up.  I tune my own piano but, if it were really nice like the C3 I used to have I'd definatly have PTG member do it.  Having said that if I had an extraordinary home and piano and you just took pictures of it for any reason without permission I would certainly feel violated.  Your not talking about the outside of someone's house.  Your talking about the interior where they expect to feel protected safe and in control.  As a piano technician as much as I'm afraid I'll be flamed for this but, in reality your not even an invited guest - you are there to perform a service your not a friend - if you were a friend you wouldn't be asking this question.  I think it is like the comercial about a high end shower - where the plumber decides to try it out.  It simply isn't appropriate to photograph someone's belongings inside their home without permission.  Maybe I am just a
 private person but, I would question the legality of it even.  Certainly it isn't something a member of the PTG should be doing.

Just my 35c.
Thomas Martin

(- sigh -) Ethics, in my mind, is tantamount to winning a customers trust and to establishing ones existence to both friends and customers as trustworthy. So... I was called to tune a 9' Yamaha CF in a customers home studio yesterday. The room was HUGE! From where I was sitting at the piano a couldn't throw a basketball and hit the pool table at the other end of the room. Two stories to the ceiling, with a balcony set up for vocals, deeply recessed skylights and a walk-in fireplace that was as big as my living room. AND the acoustics of this room were simply extraordinary. Since my personal ethics prevent me from just whipping out my camera and taking a couple of quick shots when the customer is out of the room, how else can I document this experience, if for no other reason than to add to the category of vacation photos, for my own enjoyment?

Thanks for your opinion. It jibes with mine.

-- G

• Geoff Sykes, RPT
• 626-799-7545
• www.ivories52.com