Plastic flanges

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 07:34:53 MDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Steve Blasyak <atuneforyou at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey Now,
>
> I have a question for the group. I have a spinet action in the garage for
> elbow replacement. I was thinking of doing the alcohol/water treatment to
> the flanges to size the bushings while I got it, just for the heck of it.
> Upon closer inspection I find the damper flanges are plastic...hmmmm
> probably the same plastic that the elbows are made of. What effect (if any)
> would the alcohol/water have on these plastic flanges. The hammer and
> whippen are normal wood flanges. This would be my target area, if the
> solution got onto plastic what might happen?

First of all, are you talking about sizing the damper flanges?  I wouldn't
worry about that unless you know that they have too much friction.  They do,
after all, have that nice big spring that forces a speedy return. :-)

I doubt it would have any harmful effect, considering the small amount of
alcohol that would be applied. You could always try it on one first, then
check it to see what might happen (if anything).  If you kill one, just
replace it with a wooden flange.

--
JF