Knabe in Houston

Avery Todd ptuner1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 06:56:13 MDT 2008

List,

As I'm sure all of you know, a lot of people have been without power in
Houston for quite a while. Almost two weeks, now.

I have a customer who's still in that position who owns a late 1800's Knabe
grand. Around 1890, I think. My question is that because of its age, is this
instrument more likely than newer types to develop any damage/problems in
the future from not being in air-conditioning for that long? It's been
restrung somewhere along the way but beside minor repairs, I believe that is
all that's ever been done to it, except tuning. The weather hasn't been TOO
bad but the temperature *has* gotten into the low to mid 90's and humidity
into the 70%+ range during the day. I'm concerned primarily about any
possible structural problems with an instrument this old.

I'm hoping that some of you who are more experienced with wood of all kinds
could give me some information here. Thanks.

Avery Todd, RPT
Houston, TX