Bass end "rattle" on S&S "D" Being prepped for Brickman Concert Tomorrow!

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 20:22:02 MDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 8:25 PM, <A440A at aol.com> wrote:

> << The only way I could eliminate it was to lay under it and press up on 2
> ribs
>
> above the beam (that extends to the nose) about 2/3 of the way toward the
>
> bass bridge, approximately under the tenor bridge.
>
> I also cleaned under the plate and bridges looking for forign objects.
>
>  >>

> Greetings,
>   I always suspect the construction of the cut-out bridge section near the
> end of the tenor bridge.  It has dowels that connect the bridge across the
> cutout to wooden buttons under the board.  You may try installing a couple
> of
> wedges between the board and the bridge in these sections.  They don't
> freeze the
> board like a wedge between the beams and ribs, and you can leave them in if
> they work.  Make the wedges quite acute so that you can really get good
> compression.  They can be held in place with just a spot of glue,easily
> popped loose
> if need be.
> good luck,
>
> Ed Foote RPT
> http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html
> www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html
>  <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Looking for simple solutions to your
> real-life
> financial challenges?  Check out WalletPop for the latest news and
> information, tips and calculators.<BR>
> (http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)</HTML>

How big should those wedges be? Would a rubber mute work or should they be
wood?

Thanks for your response,
Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com