Old Ivers and Pond to pitch raise or not to...

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Sep 23 14:58:33 MDT 2008

1913 - I'd recommend you purchase an atlas.  It really is a small expenditure for a wealth of information.

Bring the piano up to pitch.  Then I'd suggest tuning.  Just back the pins to break any surface rust then yank 'em up to pitch.  No need to dawdle.  They'll either take it or not.  If not, it's time for a realistic conversation with the new owner as to it's musical worth.

If a strings haven't enough structural integrity to come to pitch, then it needs restringing.  If the block is like new and rest of the piano is in a condition to justify it, restringing seems like it shouldn't be out of the question.

I doubt the clear coat had any marked effect on bridge preservation, BTW.  The splits form due to the side bearing at the bridge pins.  Now, if the "clear coat" were epoxy, that'd be different.  ;-]

William R. Monroe

  Greetings,

            A church got a free Ivers and Pond grand piano given to them. Serial 52183. What is the mfg date? It is 100 cents flat. Upon examination of the bridges, it looks as if some tech shellacked or poly clear coated the entire bridge along with the sound board. I mean the clear coat (whatever it is)(its super glossy) is over all the bearing surfaces as well as down over the sides of the bridges and the sound board as well. The bridges were actually "saved" from further splitting, because there are very slight splits near the bridge pins, but they are all coated.

           The pinblock is like new. I am almost sure it is a replacement.  My gut feeling is not to pitch raise this one, just because of its estimated age. The strings would probably withstand it but I dunno...any suggestions?

  Thanks in advance,
  Julia Gottshall
  Reading, PA