David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Sep 21 13:09:05 MDT 2008

I was thinking in terms of things like transition bridges on small (or
large) pianos which adds another piece to the puzzle and slows production a
bit.  Things like precision action balancing, coordinating leverage and
strike weights (not to mention smoothing the strike weights) also add costs
to production and, I assume, are eschewed for that reason.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

>Sadly, it seems that those whose
> priorities become production costs (understandably) simply have to make
too
> many compromises.
>
> David Love

I'll have to take some exception to this. I admit to having no
manufacturing experience, and am almost certainly missing
something fundamental, but I see no non-political reason that,
once set up, a very high function level instrument can be mass
produced "finished" at a very competitive price.
Ron N