FW: Ike update

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 21 14:44:02 MDT 2008

[Leslie Bartlett]
Power came on in 77083 in early afternoon. Originally the word was next
Monday. We had friends who offered food, house, anything- so we took ice.
For us it was an inconvenience- well my wife didn't handle it so well.  But
to be without the things which we always take for granted is actually a
valuable experience.  Life can go on at a basic level, though if a national
catastrophe came, then it wouldn't be manageable.  While waiting for my
computer to run virus scan (it is safe) I read paper which said few bodies
have been found- most took the whole thing seriously- this coming from
Houston Chronicle.  Though it is very nice to have all the conveniences
back, it has, for me been a reminder of the things which we take for granted
which can be taken away very quickly in many different manners.
les bartlett

 Subject: Re: Ike update

      We still do not have power in our area.  We are in 77041 and are
suppose to HOPEFULLY get power on Monday evening.  I pray that will happen.
I am extremely depressed over all of this.  I am hearing stories about all
the dead bodies in Galveston and 20,000 body bags were brought in.  I pray
this is just a rumor.  I also heard from a First Responder (second hand)
that there are lots of bodies on west beach in Galveston and that is why no
one is being let in.  Two of our neighbors have generators so we are plugged
into their generators.  In our area also it is neighbors helping neighbors.

      PATRICIA SIERASKI
      Psieraski at sbcglobal.net
      713-856-9652
      Patty's Cakes

        The spirit of the neighbors and of Houston in general is great.  No
masses of people waiting for FEMA handouts.  TV did their best to make it
worse than it was.  At Sam's, they had half the gas pumps shut down so the
lines would appear longer than they were with TV cameras set to show the
lines.  Neighbors got together and help each other clear what they could.
Power was out for us for two days.  Our neighbors three doors down and
farther south still don't have power.  We are at Panera Bread using their
WiFi to catch up.  We do not have cable, so we have no phone, no TV, and no
Internet. No estimate on repairs.

        More later.

        Paul Andersen
        pandrsen at earthlink.net