Mason & Hamlin & Other Pianos

Shawn Brock shawnbrock at fuse.net
Sat Sep 20 11:22:49 MDT 2008

I would agree with all that has been stated!  The key words are "out of the box."  The Mason and Hamlin dealer that I have worked for in the recent past
did not have an understanding of these facts.  I don't think these pianos come in from the factory in the best of playing condition.  Other than Charles
Walters I would say that most of the American pianos that come from the factory to the floor are badly prepped.  Kawai does the best job of making a piano
playable out of the box in my opinion.  Masons do need a lot of care after shipment and most folks are not willing to pay for that work to be performed.
 Well, that's how it works here any how...  A Mason and Hamlin has a unique tone that I could pick out anywhere (I'm speaking of the new ones.)  Usually
they come in vary glassy and bright sounding, almost a half tone below a 440, the hammer line is already gone to pot and they are vary faulty in the treble.
 Its funny to me how people think they can push a $20000 plus piano off on a customer when it has  these problems.  I think that's why they move slow here...
 Never the less, they are a good instrument.  Would I recommend someone take one over a Fazioli or others in that range?  Probably not!  They are a good product though...

Regards,
Shawn Brock, RPT
www.shawnbrock.com

Block quote start