Teaching Tuning

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 16 22:18:07 MDT 2008

If anyone is even thinking to train an apprentice, he or she would be well
advised to contact Randy Potter, who has very good advice in this area.  I
once attended a class on this subject taught by him.  Even though at the
time I wasn't thinking of doing this, I realized he had some very good
ideas to share from his experience.  This might be a side topic from
teaching tuning, but it is very appropriate here.  Randy made a plan to
receive compensation from his trainees which entailed paying them according
to their expertise in a particular task.  As they advanced in skills, over
time, he would pay them progressively more, thus enabling him to profit
while they learned.  This would take place over a long period of time, even
a few years.  Otherwise, you will lose time better spent actually making
money.  You may find that after you begin sending them out to cover for a
tuning you can't do, the customer may decide to keep this new guy.  Maybe
he'll charge less, and you'll lose customers to him.  It's a good idea to
think carefully before going this route.  As Randy pointed out, many
technicians have tried to mentor somebody, just to find out later that they
regretted it, and became bitter about the experience.
FWIW,
Paul McCloud, RPT
San Diego

Paul McCloud
Service Technician for PianoSD.com
www.pianoservsd.com
Created with free BlueVoda software:
http://www.vodahost.com/partner/idevaffiliate.php?id=9223_1_3_9

directions, including telling him about CSPT (since we're here in Chicago)
and recommending he join the PTG.   He actually went to one of the First
Tuesday classes (which the Chicago Chapter holds for Associates).

> He either has no money or is not interested in investing any towards the
goal of learning to tune a piano.  He's a Theory and Composition major at a
local college, so this may just be an "area of interest" to him, rather
than a possible profession.

> I probably learned as much as from him as he did from me.   At least now
I know that teaching this stuff ain't for me!  I'll leave it to the
professionals.