dropped Kawai suggestion

Gerald Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Mon Sep 15 13:49:52 MDT 2008

Mike,
Aside from the obvious, Plate, action brackets, board, etc. Be sure to check the joint of the pin plank where it is glued to the back frame assembly.
I have experienced where the glue joint popped open and separation caused instability in tuning. This was the only issue found from the fall.
The piano had felt covering the top area and hid the fault line. We peeled back the felt to find the problem.
Resolve was to lower string pressure, loosen the pin block plate bolts, mix up some west system epoxy, pour in the split, then clamp everything back together.
We then reset threading of the bolts, (had to re plug 2 stripped holes)  tightened everything down, tuned everything up, adjusted action and the piano's ben back in stable tuning condition in the customers home for the last 3 years.  Hopefully your's will be a simple a repair as this one.  Best of Luck
Gerry Cousins, RPT
Hi All,I'm looking for advice/input on what specifically to look
for in a piano that due to bad wheels fell flat on it's back on a schoolroom
floor and now, I'm told won't hold tune.
It is a Kawai UST-8 and the teacher was new 6 years ago and
unaware of the faulty wheels, she attempted to pull/push it a way from the wall
and WHAM down it went.
The tooner that has been tuning it can't keep it in tune,
the store I used to tune for, a Kawai dealer, offered my services to look
at it and give an estimate. I am very familar with Kawai's, not so familiar
with pianos that have taken a fall and the damage that can cause.I have made an appointment for Friday to go look at it, an
help or advice would be appreciated.

Mike