Piano Took a Fall- Won't Hold Tune

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Sep 15 09:23:52 MDT 2008

Michael Magness wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for advice/input on what specifically to look for in a piano
> that due to bad wheels fell flat on it's back on a schoolroom floor and
> now, I'm told won't hold tune.
>
> It is a Kawai UST-8 and the teacher was new 6 years ago and unaware of
> the faulty wheels, she attempted to pull/push it a way from the wall and
> WHAM down it went.
>
> The tooner that has been tuning it can't keep it in tune, the store I
> used to tune for, a Kawai dealer, offered my services to look at it and
> give an estimate. I am very familar with Kawai's, not so familiar with
> pianos that have taken a fall and the damage that can cause.
>
> I have made an appointment for Friday to go look at it, an help or
> advice would be appreciated.
>
> Mike

Hey Mike,

The first place, of course, would be a thorough inspection of the plate,
starting with and guided by which part of the tuning is worst.

Besides that, you may find the action brackets broken,
-loose soundboard,
-keybed separated (if action brackets _didn't break),
-fall/top/bottom board hinges/locating pins/clasps broken
-action parts broken, like damper lift rod, etc., etc.

i.e. it could be a real can-o-worms

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

Remember that, while money talks,  CHOCOLATE SINGS!