Key whitening - the Cutex cure!

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Sep 14 15:02:45 MDT 2008

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your questions, I was away from home.

I took the keys out one by one so that I could hold them at a good angle to
the light and see properly how things looked.  This also allowed better
access to the edges of the key coverings.

I used paper towel roll, called kitchen towel in the UK, not sure what the
US term is for it.  I folded the paper towel into a flat finger about an
inch wide by four or five inches long. It is necessary to constantly change
to a clean bit of paper towel surface, otherwise you quickly end up rubbing
dissoved gunge back into the key.

The cutex-cleaned key surface dried almost instantly, and after I had done
all the keys, I then lightly buffed the surface with the keys in place using
a clean dry cloth.

Sorry the quality of the pic isn't very good, I only had my cellphone camera
with me. In the pic, C, D, E, and the rear half of F had been quickly
treated.

Proceed with caution!  I will be most interested to hear how you get on!

Best regards,

David.

"David

I have a piano I want to try this on.  I have a couple of specific questions
as to your procedure.

Did you remove the keys from the piano to apply the Cutex?  I imagine if any
Cutex got on the adjacent black keys it might smudge black onto the white
keytop.

After applying the Cutex with the towel, did you then wipe off any remaining
Cutex/moisture with a clean towel, or did you just leave it in place?

Thanks for sharing this with us and for any additional info, too.

Tom Sivak
Chicago"